Australian citizens receive a position on the Australia Day Honours list if they are deemed to have provided distinguished services that are beneficial to the nation. It is an absolute honour to be awarded them, as stated by His Excellency General The Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove "the recipients...actions have set them apart and enriched our community across a broad range of professional, public and community service sectors".
There are three categories in which to receive awards:
Order of Australia, which includes:
- Officer (AO) in the General Division
- Medal (OAM) in the General Division
- Distinguished and Conspicuous.
The OCA extends its congratulations for this accolade to:
- Professor Michael Coper (1963) - AO - for his legal services as a professor among other deeds.
- John Gaden AM (1958) - AO - for his services in the performing arts.
- Peter Henchman (1954) - OAM - for his services to the environment.
"Australia Day 2018 Honours List", Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, https://www.gg.gov.au/australia-day-2018-honours-list